Tuesday 11th June 2019
RE: Recent Ofsted inspection outcome
It is with enormous pleasure that I write to share the fantastic news that following a recent one-day Ofsted inspection our school has once again been rated ‘Good’ by Ofsted. Ofsted is the Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills. They are responsible for inspecting maintained schools, academies and some independent schools.
The inspector noted how we have maintained “the good quality education” and kept careful oversight of all aspects of the school, including pupils’ attainment and progress, since our last inspection in June 2015. The report also recognised Charlton’s strong roots in the community and how pupils enjoy coming to school and are proud to be pupils at Charlton.
We could not have achieved this without your support and I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you, your fantastic children and our dedicated staff for their hard work and commitment, which has helped to make Charlton such an amazing place to learn, work and succeed.
The report highlights many key strengths. Some areas that make us very proud include:
- The school has a strong culture of safeguarding with “leaders and staff ensuring pupils’ safety and welfare” and the curriculum includes “regular teaching on how to stay safe, including from potential dangers that can arise when using the internet and social-media platforms”.
- Pupils enjoy coming to school and are proud to be pupils at Charlton.
- Pupils have a good understanding of the school’s values, ‘Be happy, be kind and be responsible’. These values are reflected in pupils’ good behaviour, attitudes and participation in school life.
- The inspector was impressed and noted the inclusive and purposeful environment at the school.
- The school has a strong sense of community, and relationships are warm and nurturing.
- Parents and carers express very high levels of satisfaction about the school. They value the care and commitment of staff and leaders, and the school’s strong community feel.
- Pupils’ well-being is given priority.
- Pupils work with positive attitudes, respond well to their teachers and cooperate well with each other.
- Pupils “enjoy their education” and “staff are proud” of the school.
- Pupils behave well in class and around the school. In many classes, pupils’ behaviour is exemplary.
- Governors are knowledgeable and fulfil their responsibilities well.
A full copy of the letter from Ofsted is now available through the school website or through the link below which will take you directly to the Ofsted website.
The governors and staff are rightly extremely proud of everything that we have been able to achieve. I look forward to the school continuing to improve, as we work towards becoming an “Outstanding” school. We pledge to continue our mission to deliver consistently excellent education that nurtures the whole child, enabling them to fulfil their individual potential, and that encourages aspiration in every pupil – achieved in a happy, safe, inclusive and values-based learning community facilitated by committed and caring staff.
Thank you for your on-going support. As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Mr Steven Rose